Saturday, January 22, 2011

Rice Flakes :)

While rice flakes may not be a common thing in a Western household, my research has shown that it is quite popular in India and it is used to make both savory and sweet snacks.  Rice flakes entered my life recently thanks to my grandmother.  When she gave me a bag of it she told me she didn't know what I would do with it, but that it had a recipe for rice pudding on the back.  I felt like this was a food challenge and in order to be prepared to face this new food I went to the internet.  After searching for a bit and seeing all the varieties of delicious foods I could make with rice flakes I decided to use some of the info I had received to make my own rice flake creation.

Here is a picture of it:
I lightly toasted the flakes in oil and after they reached a golden brown I transferred them to a mixing bowl.  After the flakes were inserted into the bowl, I mixed them with brown sugar, flax seed meal and cinnamon.  The results were delicious.  I think that I might be able to use the mixture for a breakfast cereal, if not for a sweet snack.  I still have a good amount of the rice flakes left so later I might try for a savory mix.  Rice flakes can be purchased at your local health food store and perhaps grocery depending on where you live.  As always, please check food labels to protect yourself from unhappy food reactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment