Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Working with Legumes

Recently, I had the opportunity to pick up How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food.  After flipping through countless recipes I settled upon one entitled The Simplest Bean Burgers. As I read what was required for this recipe, I also looked at the side note which said it could also be made into cutlets and "meat"balls.  After reading the possibilities, my sister and I decided to use this recipe to make three things: burgers, "meat"balls and ground beef-like crumbles which we affectionally called "ground bean".

We used a mix of black beans and pinto beans, brown rice, a seasoning assortment that included paprika, garlic, and onion Considering the large amount of beans we had we tripled the recipe.

Below are pictures of our burgers and of the casserole we made with our "ground bean".


The burgers held together when they were left to rest for a few minutes before frying. 


For the casserole, we added broccoli, tomato sauce, mozzarella, and carrots to our "ground bean" and baked it like a regular casserole.
                              

No comments:

Post a Comment