Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Cabbage Rolls

A few days ago, my family and I were given three heads of cabbage.  Normally I would think "cabbage...eh what can I do with that besides boil it?"  But a week before the cabbage came, I got a good deal on two great cookbooks (How To Cook Everything and How To Cook Everything Vegetarian) and I've needed a reason to use them :)  After I received the cabbage, I began flipping through How To Cook Everything and I settled on two recipes, a Mexican Style no-mayo slaw and Cabbage Rolls. This is the story of the Cabbage Rolls.

The oblong green heads were to my right and my cookbook was to my left on the kitchen table as I intently read about how to stuff cabbage.   The recipe was surprisingly simple.  I would remove the cabbage's leaves, wash the leaves, then put the leaves in a steamer over boiling water for 10-15 minutes until the leaves were flexible.  Once flexible, I would remove them from their steam bath and cut out their woody stems.  After this I would roll them like a burrito around the filling of my choosing.  I had some ground turkey cooking in a skillet with onions and garlic and red bell peppers roasting in the oven.  As soon as my filling was done and my cabbage was too, I applied the filling to its pleasant green home.  It took a few tries to get it to stay in its place (only because I had overfilled them) but after a bit I began to master the art of wrapping.  The wrapping came out well and the filling was rather good.  The Cabbage Rolls were a success.


No comments:

Post a Comment