Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Coconut Muffins


About a week or so ago, my grandmother gave me a bag of coconut flour.  I admit I didn't know that there was such a thing as coconut flour before she introduced it to me, but I was definitely willing to see what I could do with it.  Coconut flour is a high fiber product that is amazingly absorbent.  Bob's Red Mill says that you can "replace up to 20% of the flour called for in a recipe with coconut flour, adding an equivalent amount of additional liquid to the recipe."

Bob's Red Mill Organic Coconut Flour, 16-Ounce Units (Pack of 4)

After a good amount of research, I've found quite a few recipes for coconut flour including muffins :)  It turns out there are websites devoted to "the coconut".  This particular recipe comes from the cookbook Cooking with Coconut Flour: A Delicious Low-Carb, Gluten-Free Alternative to Wheat [COOKING W/COCONUT FLOUR]. This recipe had more eggs than I was comfortable with but I thought why not be adventurous, right?

I used their basic coconut muffin recipe and added pineapple to it.  The basic recipe is as follows: 

HONEY MUFFINS
This is a basic coconut flour muffin recipe you can use to make a variety of muffins. 
3 eggs 2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons coconut milk or whole milk 3 tablespoons honey 1⁄4 teaspoon salt 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
1⁄4 cup sifted coconut flour 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder Blend together eggs, butter, coconut milk, honey, salt, and vanilla. Combine coconut flour with baking powder and thoroughly mix into batter until there are no lumps. Pour batter into muffin cups. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 C) for 15 minutes. Makes 6 muffins.

I substituted liquid equivalents for some of the ingredients ie. the coconut milk and the honey (I used molasses instead) and it came out rather well.  The texture might be a bit eggy for some but I'm sure with a bit of testing one can make this vegan as well.  

My muffins can out modest sized and moist; I also made nine of them instead of six.  The bottoms stuck a little to my muffin pan but that maybe due to me.  Anyways here's a picture of them; they are quite filling and taste quite good.





No comments:

Post a Comment